Thursday, September 29, 2011

Surgery is scheduled and other unexpected news...

The nurse called yesterday to schedule my c-section. Apparently, December 5th is a popular day to have a baby. She could not get me on the agenda until 12:30pm. So put it on your calendar! Normally they do them first thing in the morning. It doesn't really bother me, though. That's one last day to [attempt to] sleep in. I show up at the hospital at 10am, and before 1pm, the world will have its newest person! Now, my history is that it will not go this smoothly, but since I am an eternal optimist (who am I fooling, here?), I think this is how it will go.

However, what might throw a little kink in my plans, is my new diagnosis...
gestational diabetes.

I am not happy about this diagnosis, but when she told me my glucose number (206), I agreed that maybe it was accurate. Well, not at first. At first, I fought her on it. And rebelliously told her I would not come back in for another screening and that I wanted to talk to someone else. Funny thing about that is, after convening with Dr. Desautels, he agreed. He is sending me straight to an educational class to get some learnin' and a glucometer. Yay me.
It's not that big of a deal. But it could mean a really big baby. Which could mean an earlier, surprise, delivery. Anywho. I won't think about that now. Now, I have to focus on limiting my carbs (really hard) and sweets (not as hard) and increasing my protein (easy!) and veggies (easiest!). The best news is that cheese has lots of calcium and it seems to be pretty diabetic friendly! Wa-hoo! That's a diet I can live with!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

hang in there chica! thinking of you.
xoxo
c