Thursday, September 24, 2009

War Eagle, Roll Tide, whatever/ Lion's club BBQ cook off





I am an Auburn fan. TJ is for the tide. Avery, like many children of divided households will have to make her own decision. We go to mostly Auburn games, and luckily, I control her wardrobe, so therefore she wears orange and blue on Saturdays, but Fridays...she wears crimson. I am not a die hard fan by any means, so I could care less that her Mimi and Aunts want to see her in her Bama gear when she is at their house. Regardless, she looks super cute in both. The cute Alabama photo is on Jane Ann's camera, so I will post it when she emails it to me.


TJ recently joined the Lion's club, and entered their Bar-B-Que Cook off almost immediately. Somehow Justin and I got dragged in to help, but we ended up having a good time. TJ and Mitchell sat up late Thursday night "building" their grill (spray paint, plywood, and cinder blocks), as their big plan was to use "free range pork" and cook in a "primitive" way. By the way, free range pork is just a churched up name for the wild hog TJ killed on Monday. Now, don't you know those rednecks down there for the Bassmaster's tournament were impressed by that. (Listen to me, acting all haughty about some rednecks. I was the one in flip flops, a business jacket, and an apron in the rain! Talk about RED.) Anywho, TJ and Mitchell cooked some beef all night, sous vide, and put the pig on their grill at 7am down at the Riverfront. They cooked all day, and I met up with them after work. We cooked until the sky opened up and we tried to wait out the rain, but the judging was at 4pm! The beautiful, hand made, black walnut, cutting board arranged neatly with our pork, sauce, and cole slaw was ready just as the judge came by to pick it up. Unfortunately I didn't get a picture before, but this was the aftermath.
The guys cooking before the rain came.

The hog. And, the man.

And Heidi for good measure.


Even though we didn't win, we had an excellent time preparing and working all day.

But, that's enough chatter about me and TJ. Back to my little smiley Avery.

No comments: