Tuesday, October 13, 2009

My kid, the genius.


Mom and I were discussing when Avery was going to start talking Sunday afternoon. Mom assured me it would be soon. We were at the lake with Grandma and Avery, sitting outside on the porch watching the very few boats go by. Avery and Grandma were passing a ball back and forth, and I was trying (as I had been unsuccessfully for the past 8 months) to get Aves to say Mama or Dada. I asked her to give me the ball. She gave me a funny look, put the ball right in my hand and said "Ball"! Then Ball, ball, ball, ball, ababaababall. I watched her little synapses fire in her brain and make the connection that what I was asking for, what she had in her hand, and the word I was saying were all the same thing. Then brain to mouth, out it came! It was the most incredible music I have ever heard! Her little speaking voice (in a total different octave than the squealing/singing voice we hear everyday) was so perfect, and it just makes me want to cry I love it so much! I never thought that would be the thing she would do that would make my "heart melt", for lack of a better (and way less cheesy) phrase.
Moments after she said "ball", I had TJ on the phone, and I asked her to tell Dada what she had just told me. She looked at the phone, and said, "dadadadadada, babababbababall." Yes that's right, she said Dada, then ball! Once she figured out we would cheer every time she said something in that cute little voice, she used it all day. She even accidentally said Mama. It hasn't happened again, but I know she will say it soon, and mean it. This might be my favorite milestone yet, and I am sure I will regret saying that when she won't shut up a month from now. I love that kid. This is her, modeling her new monogrammed robe at the lake.
And, this is a very blurry photo of her playing in Riley's toy basket on Saturday as we watched football. Allison, make sure you email me those photos and videos so I can post some of those! The babies were so cute playing together!