Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Farmers-outstanding in our field.

TJ has always had a green thumb. Me, not so much...I pretty much kill any plant that isn't plastic. That is why I love fake plants...I know, I know, they are cliche and gather dust, and anyone who is anyone despises them. But I love the green that they add to the house and how they help fill up bare spots, but, back to my point of how I kill actual living plants. Yesterday, TJ, Beverly, Aunt Tince, Hannah, Avery, and I created a garden down at Hobbie Road. As in a real eat-what-you-grow kind of garden. I was pretty hesitant at first, given my propensity for being an Atom Bomb to the Hiroshima plants of my backyard. We got out there, and started hoeing the soil, spreading some seed, and putting plants in the ground. It was amazing! I began to release some pent up aggression as I chopped up roots with my tools. By the time darkness had set in, I felt like a new woman. I was proud of all we had done, looking forward to the harvest, and I felt the instant gratification of seeing our little plants turn into neat green rows of future food (and Organic for that matter!). Hannah took care of Avery while we worked. Unfortunately, I didn't get any pictures of our labor or of Aves enjoying the sunshine. We ended up planting watermelons, cantaloupe, wildflowers, cucumbers, eggplant, peppers, okra, and squash. We are going back to plant snow peas and pumpkins. Just think of all the homemade baby food I can make!
There are problems though...we have deer, insects, and weeds to contend with. AND, of course, simply because I was involved, they have a significantly increased chance of premature death.

No comments: